Saturday, December 1, 2012

Holy Darkness...waiting


Holy darkness, blessed night
Heaven's answers, hidden from our sight.
As we await you, O God of silence,
We embrace your holy night
.

It's usually diffuicult to stay OUT of the Christmas spirit at this time of year, and practice the time of longing and waiting that Advent is supposed to signify. I'm having an easier time this year in some respects; I don't feel Christmas-y. I feel off. I feel angry. I'm awaiting answers and directions from a "God of silence" at this time.

And that is why I was so happy to remember this hymn this evening. It demonstrates right where I am. Embracing the darkness feels impossible. I want to shout the darkness away from me. But to recognize the Light...we must dwell in the dark from time to time I guess.

We await you with longing. Come, Christ Child!

First Sunday of Advent
Daily Mass Readings
Jeremiah 33:14-16
Psalm 25:4-5,8-10,14
1 Thessalonians 3:12-4:2
Luke 21:25-28,34-36

No comments:

Post a Comment