Monday, March 19, 2012

A morning distraction

In the middle of a muddled attempt at praying Lauds this morning, I heard a distant squeaking noise. It sounded like the unoiled metal of a machine. I looked at my watch; 6:15am.

"REALLY?", I thought. "What could that neighbor of mine be doing? He has workmen at the house already?"

Just as I'm about to throw on my jacket and start some ruckus with the offending workmen AND my neighbor, I listened more carefully, as something about this squeaking began to sound familiar. It was the chirping of birds in the backyard tree that I'd not heard in a year. Smiling, I sheepishly took my jacket off and went back inside.

Perception is everything.

Solemnity of St. Joseph
Daily Mass Readings
2 Samuel 7:4-5a,12-14a,16
Psalm 89:2-5,27,29
Romans 4:13,16-18,22
Matthew 1:16,18-21,24a

No comments:

Post a Comment