Friday, February 24, 2012

Stumbling into Lent

I found myself slipping into an old habit this evening; getting into nasty religious debates. Whether it's with fundamentalist Christians, Dawkins-esque atheists, or SSPX Catholics, the object never changes - win, making your opponent look as hapless as possible. There's a perverse joy in that, in feeling you've bested someone, in the "I'm-right-you're-wrong" mindset.
There's nothing wrong with discussion and disagreement in the pursuit of truth. But when "winning" or embarrassing someone becomes an end in itself, there's something amiss (at least for me). Have to re-focus and screw my head back on right.

One the lighter side of these first couple of days of Lent, I've decided to give my 4-legged and feathered friens a break and give up meat for the duration. The fish are still on their own...not ready for that yet!

Jesus, help me imitate your time in the Desert well. Help me have a Holy Lent. Amen

Daily Mass Readings
Isaiah 58:1-9
Psalm 51:3-6,18-19
Matthew 9:14-15

No comments:

Post a Comment