Monday, January 2, 2012

A few New Year's Resolutions

A wonderful Advent and Christmas! Which means it is time to consider what kind of 2012 I want for me. So here goes, in no particualr order:

- Lose weight around my middle and care for myself more diligently. Yeah, everyone has this one and I'm no different. I'm not setting specific weight loss goals. But my stamina for doing anything physical these days is negligent. The unexpected heart attack of a healthy YOUNGER friend a couple of days ago frightened me. I have far too much to lose. So my dormant gym membership finally will be put into use!
- Publish something...outside of this blog. I love to write. I love to tell stories. That's not enough however. I've never really made a concentrated effort to "put myself out there" as far as writing goes. Self-publishing is easy; no one can tell you 'no'. It's time I started to frame the stories I have within me and really try and do something with them.
- Continue my sobriety. It's not a given; I'm as close to the next drink as any alcoholic, regardless of the time I've put in. As with my health, I've far too much to lose now. Remain vigilant!
- Read at least 25 books. I've always prided myself on being a reader, but I've done precious little of it the past year; MAYBE 10 books? Now that I have a Nook, there are no exuses. Hit the books!
- Go vegetarian for Lent. After years of planning to do so and falling off the wagon before the First Friday, I think I'm ready to try this again. Not only is it a sacrifice for me...but as a Franciscan, giving my Brothers and Sisters of the Animal Kingdom a break for a couple of months is the least I can do.
- Study and become familiar with at least one other religion/spiritual path to better understand how others recognize the face of God.
- Find a workable program to read through the Bible in one year.
- Pray the Liturgy of the Hours daily (at least Morning and Evening prayer)

That ought to keep me busy!

Blessed New Year to all!

The Octave Day of the Nativity of the Lord Solemnity of Mary, the Holy Mother of God
Daily Mass Readings
Numbers 6:22-27
Psalm 67:2-3,5,6,8
Galations 4:4-7
Luke 2:16-21

No comments:

Post a Comment