Friday, March 6, 2009

Another step...

Last night on the spur of the moment, I decided to "give up" my beard for at least the remainder of Lent.

It wasn't easy shaving, let me tell you. I had been growing it out for almost 2 months. I loved to groom it, to shape it, to play around with it absentmindedly. I looked at it in the mirror every chance I got. I was very proud of it. And all that is why it had to go.

I spent more time fiddling around with that thing than taking care of the house, playing with my kids, spending quality time with my wife (who hated it, by the by). It became a source of ridiculous obsession, of self-absorption, which is exactly what someone like me ought to be avoiding, especially during Lent.

The time I spent grooming my lovely beard will be better spent.

Daily Mass Readings
Ezekial 18:21-28
Psalm 130:1-8
Matthew 5:20-26

No comments:

Post a Comment