Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Obligations

Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.
- Talmud (attributed)
.
Sometimes I think that's my problem; being overwhelmed by the sorry state of the world stymies me into inactivity. I ask, almost indifferently, "What the hell can I do about it? Why waste my time? I certainly can't make eveything better, so I may as well not even bother." I suspect many folks feel the same.
This Talmudic quote tells me why. I have an obligation to love, to act justly, to be merciful, and to walk humbly, whenever the opportunity presents itself. I don't...I can't...make everyting better. I have a responsibilty to make better what I can.
May I...may we all...remember this always. We can't make it ALL better...we're required to make the world in front of us a little more just, more merciful, more full of love. With God's grace, this will spread to the world at large. We may never see the fruits of the seeds we plant. Planting them is the thing that matters.

Daily Mass Readings
Hebrews 12:1-4
Psalm 22:26-28,30-31
Mark 5:21-43

2 comments:

  1. this quote is on our wall. Shalom on your head brother. Courage. Tharsiete.

    in this kosmos you will have 'trouble on top of trouble' but 'tharsiete!' (fill with encouragement. fill with courage. fill with 'good cheer') for i have overcome this KOSMOS.. (and the trouble on top of grief on top of horror) -yehoshua Yochanan/John 16;33. yip-ee! plant. water. pray. move on in the 'baby steps' and God will do the rest! maranatha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you but to do justly, and to love kindness and mercy, and to humble yourself and walk humbly with your God?
    Micah 6:8
    Amplified Bible

    ReplyDelete