Monday, October 4, 2010
Fool for God
Today is the Feast of St. Francis of Assisi, patron of the Franciscan Family, ecology, animals...and plain old fools like me.
- Brother Francis renounced a life of wealth and privilege in favor of strict poverty
- Brother Francis embraced a terrifying Wolf at Gubbio.
- Brother Francis kissed the hands of a Leper.
- Brother Francis stripped naked in front of his bishop and his community, to be closer to his Lady Poverty.
- Brother Francis often preached to his sister birds.
- Brother Francis on his deathbed thanked his donkey for carrying him throughout his ministry. The donkey is said to have wept at his passing
My Brother also literally and figuratively built up the Church and founded a great religious order of men and women who follow his path to Christ even today. My Brother also received the Stigmata. He has inspired millions with his simple way of following Christ. He embraced all of God's Creation as his own family.
My Little Brother Francis was a Fool. May I one day be as foolish as he!
Brother Francis, let me truly follow your Path to Our Lord Jesus Christ, and to serve Him with great humility!
Memorial of St. Francis of Assisi
Daily Mass Readings