Thursday, June 3, 2010

Oddballs

I was just thinking about Deacon Joe, one of my Franciscan brothers I currently have the privilege of being in formation with. In one of our last meetings, Joe was musing a bit on why he loved the fraternity of the Secular Franciscan Order. To paraphrase:
"It's because I'm an oddball when it come to this God business, at least in the eyes of the world. I come here because I enjoy the company of other spiritual oddballs."

I could not have said it better myself. Since I can remember, I've been something of a spiritual oddball myself. From my first CCD classes through today, I've always looked upon my relationship with God with intense awe, to be explored examined and experienced. It's not always felt like a good thing. The world frowns on such a thing. You want irony? I've intensely prayed to God to make His relationship with me LESS important, to make it easier to carry myself in day to day life; in short, praying intently to not want to pray intently. I don't have to do that anymore, as long as I have all the Church-y "weirdos" in my corner. I could be in worse company; St. Francis of Assisi himself was known as "God's Fool"!

Spiritual Oddballs of the world, UNITE!


Memorial of St Charles Lwanga and companions
Daily Mass Readings
2 Timothy 2:8-15
Psalm 25:2-5,8-10,14
Mark 12:28-34

No comments:

Post a Comment