Thursday, May 27, 2010

A Bishop who gets it, and thoughts on the Church


Archbishop Emeritus Francis Quinn of the Diocese of Sacramento, as quoted in America Magazine:
"We should consider having a new ecumenical council with the unifying force of Peter and representatives of the entire church family, always respecting tradition and Sacred Scripture, studying more deeply the subjects of human sexuality; the healthy exercise of authority in the church; the needs of the poor and the suffering; the appropriateness of celibacy in the priesthood; the role of women in the church; the need for transparency; and the personal holiness of each one of us...The church is a living organism. Only lifeless things are static and unchanging. Well thought-out changes may be necessary at times like these. To strengthen our faith, we should take heart from the words of Carlo Caretto, who writes:

How much I must criticize you, my Church, and yet how much I love you! You have made me suffer more than anyone, and yet I owe more to you than to anyone. I should like to see you destroyed, and yet I need your presence. You have given me much scandal, my Church, and yet you alone have made me understand holiness.

Never in this world have I seen anything more compromised, more false, yet never have I touched anything more pure, more generous, or more beautiful. Countless times I have felt like leaving you, my Church; and yet every night I have prayed that I might die in your warm loving arms."



It is such a shame that bishops seem blind to this level oh insight until after they've retired. Please Lord, more Archbishop Quinns!!!

I could have written that quote from Carlo Caretto myself. It completely sums up my own wrestlings with the angels. I love my Church. Because I love it so much, I will support the views of insightful Bishops like Francis Quinn wholeheartedly, and try to not be cowed by those who think me a dissenter because of it.


Peace,
Thomas

Daily Mass Readings
1 Peter 2:2-5,9-12
Psalm 100:2-5
Mark 10:46-52

No comments:

Post a Comment