Often I berate myself for not getting the things done I planned to or ought to be getting done. That was my initial reaction when I looked over my New Years Resolutions from last year. However, I've come to the realization that progress was made and things happened I didn't envision at the beginning of the year. There were at the very least silver linings for be grateful for.
So here's my Top Ten "This, BUT ALSO THAT" list for the waning year of 2009:
1. My beloved cat Archie passed away...BUT we welcomed Wall-E and Eva to our family!
2. I didn't reach my fitness goals...BUT my gym membership is still good for almost 2 more years!
3. I didn't take up a another musical instrument as I planned...BUT I 'donated' my bass guitar to my nephew, giving an old dusty instrument new life!
4. I didn't begin discernment to become a deacon...BUT I was accepted into the Secular Franciscan Order as a novitiate, became a 3rd Degree Knight of Columbus, and am the Recording Secretary for my Division of the Ancient Order of Hibernians!
5. The book I was planning to put together has not yet come to fruition...BUT I made time to create and regularly 'self-publish' my own blog!
6. I don't have all the answers yet...BUT I think I'm starting to ask the right questions!
7. Myspace has pretty much gone the way of the dinosaur...BUT I have kept much closer contact with friends and family via Facebook instead!
8. My job has gotten harder this year...BUT I have been doing it better!
9. I am losing more and more hair from the top of my head...BUT I have a nice beard coming in to make up for it!
10. I am not the man I am supposed to be yet...BUT I won't be until the day I die anyway!
The Fifth Day in the Octave of Christmas
Daily Mass Readings
1 John 2:3-11